Friday, April 9, 2010

Craft Night a.k.a Heather and Mairead beat Etsy

The last two days have gone by fast, but as you will see from the last post, I have gotten a lot done. We went downtown and got our marriage license yesterday! I guess that means in the state's eyes we are married, so to celebrate we got cheap mexican food, took a tour of the new building I will be working in, and rock climbed for 3 hours.


My office is in the black, square building in each of these pictures. It is right on the river and is cornered by the Wrigley building and the Tribune Tower. To say that I am thrilled is an understatement!

After our adventurous day, we headed over to Sham and Mairead's to finish up a few projects, which I wanted to share.

Project #1: Paper Flowers for the Seating Table Board

These suckers took way more time than we ever thought they would, but they were worth it once we saw the final product. 
Pretty much, the packet contained a lot of paper, wire, florist tape, and instructions.


From there, we cut out petal patterns and glued the wire onto the backs of all of the petals. Each flower had 5 small and 5 large petals, meaning that for three flowers, we did this 30 times! Don't be fooled by this post, either. We did all of the prep work last Sunday to get to the assembling last night!

After you have all of the petals, you bunch the petals and wrap them in floral tape for the stems.


(Don't mind the white marking behind him, not a part of the flower!)

Again the reason we assembled this gigantic paper flowers was to attach to the seating table chart board, which leads me into the next project:

Project #2: Seating Table Chart Board

The only supplies needed are:
Big piece of cardboard( we had some left over from a package that was shipped to us)
Hot glue gun
Fabric

Pretty self-explanatory, but really worth it compared to buying the same thing.


I only bought enough fabric to cover the front of the board, which save me about $10.


I pretty much just wrapped it like a present and glued.

10 minutes later....



Done! 


I will be assembling the flowers onto the board closer to the wedding, simply for storage purposes. 

Last, but not least with our projects, I saw a ring holder that I really liked on Etsy, but it just seemed like too much money for what it was. Then, I remember my trip to Michael's, and the fact that I had seen all of the items necessary to make what I wanted. Not only was it cheaper, but it took less time to make than for me to get online and order one.


Project #3: Bird's nest ring-bearer

Supplies:



Ribbon, Moss, bird's nest, and a hot glue gun

Cost: $8.50, without glue gun


I glued the moss into the center of the nest, then strung the ribbon through the sides of the nest.


From there, I glued the ribbon into place and let it all dry.



Now, we have a nice little place to tie our rings for transportation in the ceremony. 


*A note on this project. We aren't having a ring bearer or flower girl, but we are doing a ring warming ceremony, where we will ask all of our guests to pass the rings in this nest from person to person in order to bless them or say something thoughtful over them before we give them to each other.

Today and tomorrow are promising to be busy days, so I better get started!





1 comment:

  1. Looks so great! Again, I'm so impressed with your ideas, craftiness, and execution!

    Good luck with today's to dos--see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete