Friday, August 13, 2010

My love/hate story of Lady Gaga



So, we had the chance to see Lady Gaga last Friday night. I was super excited because I actually really liked the stories I had read about her journey to the top. Plus, her music makes me dance anytime, anywhere.
Our experience at Lollapolooza was an interesting one. Since we were seeing her at a music festival, it was first come, first sere with standing room. We ended up standing for about an hour and a half, scrunched between a bunch of teens that were uber excited that they bought some overpriced pot and smuggled in some Malibu that their older sister bought for them. Obnoxius and smelly, but I knew it was going to be worth it.
So, Gaga finally starts up and the energy is at a crazy level. The people around us were obsessed with her! Costumes, screaming, and claws were all around us. The curtain lifts and there is a very produced stage with tons of flamboiant dancers moving around. She gets through the first song and then tells us all about how she had been here 3 years ago and had dismal reviews, but now she is back and headlining! We all cheer, very exciting stuff.
If that had been all I had seen, I would have left with the same idea of her, but the show was two hours and in that time it basically seemed like a political stage with purposefully offensive material and lectures to 14 year olds about how she hates money, loves gays, and that Jesus loves gays, too. Now, even though I may share one or more of those views, I would never stand in front of 80,000 people and tell them that is how it is.
The show's concept was also very Britney Spears-ish, as it was her going through scenes to introduce songs and they even had the "fame-monster" come out, which looked like an anglerfish. Uh, I don't get it....
  So, in short, she is just a girl in an overly produced pop star role. What I thought would be weird/cool just ended up being weird with a bunch of screaming 15 year old gay boys.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, that last image is amazing.

    Second of all, I LOVE this sentence: "Costumes, screaming, and claws were all around us."

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Sorry I gotta go my boss is coming!

    ReplyDelete