Sunday, November 1, 2009

It's finally a sunny Sunday, but where to stay in Mallorca?



Another busy week has gone by, but was well rewarded by a fun Halloween weekend! I find myself now sitting in direct sunlight on my couch, soaking in the rays with a slight fear that I won't see it again for the next week. Chicago has been very dark and rainy the past week:(
Halloween we great and I am still slightly recovering from last night. Pictures are soon to come, but we basically cut up little kid costumes and squeezed into them for the night. Well worth the $5 from goodwill!

Jonathan and I spent the better half of the morning talking about our honeymoon. We have had the privilege of traveling to quite a few great places around the world in the last few years that we have known each other.



When we first started dating he came to visit me in Barcelona, where I studied abroad.


While he was in Europe, we had a chance to go to Paris!


We visited Seoul, South Korea back in April.

In the same trip we went to Thailand and met up with some friends that were teaching there.

Recently, we went to visit friends that move to San Diego. We have been lucky to have friends that move to such great places!


So, the story behind our honeymoon plans is that that the day that Jonathan asked me to marry him, we were in a bike race that morning. While riding, we met a Spanish cyclist that was raving about a cycling camp he attends every year on the island of Mallorca, which is just off the coast of Spain. 
I have been to Ibiza, which is just south, but I have heard that Mallorca is even more beautiful and tranquil. There is also great limestone rock climbing, which is a big incentive for us to choose the location
So, once we got this idea in our minds that we wanted to go there, I have started looking into activities and apartments for the trip. We, by no means, are looking to stay in an all inclusive/golf/spa/cheesy/generic food place. Again, this is the same sentiment I have about David's Bridal. Places like Sandals or Cruises through Mexico are great for people who don't mind spending extra $ for others to pamper them for a week or to get those creepy towel creations on your bed every night. I think they try too hard at setting romantic scenes and just end up seeming cheesy and tacky.
Of course, just my opinion, as I have been to these places/taken those cruises in the past.



The one thing that Sandals reminds me of id the episode of the Office where Michael takes Jan to Sandals Jamaica! Stereotype defined!


 I have been looking into a website called homeaway.com which makes me drool a little bit. If it is one thing I learned from living in Spain, it is that staying at a "hotel" is usually way overpriced and not as clean/pretty as you would normally find in America. However, guesthouses, apartments and even some hostels are very well kept and you have the option of using a kitchen, in case you don't want to eat out every meal.
This is the one I have been eyeing:


View from the house

Rooftop terrace....and, I die!

The great thing about this place is that is actually cheaper than staying at any of the hotels in the region and you get loads more privacy. One thing I really dislike about hotels in tropical places is they try to get you to pay ridiculous amounts of money for special "excursions." All you need is a guide book and a rented car.



This one is a little more expensive, but isn't it beautiful!

Ugh, now back to reality. I am going to try and drag my lazy butt to the gym today.  I just cant stop trying to plan!

We are also thinking of stopping in Italy, as neither of us have been there yet. I want to go to Venice, while Jonathan wants to see Rome. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. So exciting! The homestays seem PERFECT. SO GORGEOUS. Um also Michael's face slayed me all over again in that screenshot. Yay for planning!

    ReplyDelete