Sunday, October 25, 2009

I'm a bad blogger, but great at trolling for BM dresses!


It has been a whole week since I have blogged and it makes me kinda sad! Work has been crazy the last week, but in a good way. We are amping up for the holiday season, so there are a lot of phone calls to make and hands to shake!
I have taken a bit of a mental break with the wedding planning, the only thing that I have thought about in the last week is the bridesmaid dresses. My philosophy has always been that I don't want anyone to have to go broke being in my wedding, nor would I want anyone to never wear the dress that they had to pay for again. I was set on asking a girl from College Station to make my dresses, but they were going to be yellow cotton. Plans have changed though, now that I have gotten my dress.
Without revealing too much, my dress calls for something a bit more formal than cotton and a bit less bright than yellow.
One of my bridesmaids had suggested J Crew, which makes nice dresses, but is a little pricey for what I wanted. However, they are having a sale on the fall line and I thought if I just chose a fabric(silk taffeta) and a color(champagne/papaya/lavender), then the girls can get whatever style they want. Some of the dresses are on sale now, so it would work out.








I went to J Crew today and found out that they actually launched their new line for Spring 2010 of BM dresses. Good news: beautiful colors that I really like Bad news: All of the styles are over $200. Boooooo.
So, I went trolling and found a few things online. Of course I want them to be nice, but affordable.





The first dress is from Alfred Angelo, which is decent, and they have multiple colors of it. Also, they don't list the exact price, but they do say it is under $150. The next two are from ModCloth and are both under $85. 
I figured if I got a dress that was solid and simple, I would add a waste band to them. I found these on Etsy and I lurve them!



Thoughts, questions, comments?

4 comments:

  1. for Kristina's wedding, we all bought a simple black sheath from Nordstroms. Less than $75. We then had beautiful silk scarves around our necks. Less than $40, and I still wear it 5 years later. I'll get her to send pix. Check out Nordstrom's, you never know. and they definitely have better service than Macy's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Heather- this is Sarita (Jonathan's friend). You might try searching ebay for some of the J Crew dresses you like. A lot of people sell dresses that were never worn and for really cheap. In fact, I bought a dress nearly identical to #3 for $40. And the suggestion for Nordstrom is a great idea. They often have sales worth checking out, not to mention in-store tailoring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all so adorable. I LOVE that waistband from Etsy! Great find and idea in combination with the solid simple dress. Interested to hear what ze ladies have to say!

    Also it says so much about you that you are putting this much thought into your bridesmaids' dresses. Thoughtful defined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. heather i love the waistband idea. a bummer your friend couldn't make the dresses but i think that a simple j crew dress with the waistband will look fab and also create a cohesive look between us bridesmaids. keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete