Sunday, October 11, 2009

My Trip to the Holy Temple (Vera Wang)

Saturday turned out to be one great day! Jonathan and I went on the hunt for terrarium bowls and ended up collecting 7 for $3-$4 a piece. Like I had stated in my last post, I had thought about making an appointment at a bridal salon, just to see what I liked. Well, I thought since it was just for fun, then why not go to the best place possible. So, I gave old Vera a call and booked an appointment.
Missy, a loyal bridesmaid of mine, agreed to go with and I started mentally preparing myself on polite ways to tell the saleswoman that there is no way in hell that I would EVER shell out $7k for a dress. I really thought I was safe b/c the only dress that I have ever seen that would even tempt me is from Fall 2008 collection.
Well, we arrive and it is everything a girl would want it to be. The staff was so nice and the dresses are even more beautiful and soft than in pictures. I have already mentally patted myself on the back because I knew that I was getting my dress next week for a much cheaper price.
All was going well until the woman asked, "Why Vera?" So, I told her "There was a dress I saw when my mother was getting married 2 years ago that I loved. It was asymmetrical at the top, mermaid style, with attached minimal ruffles at the bottom." Then she uttered THE WORDS, "Oh, I think we have that one in the back."

GASP, WHAT?!
She then proceeds to bring out THE dress, my kryptonite. It is even more beautiful than I thought it would be. It fits me perfectly and Missy even said, "Wow, that dress was made for you." Thanks Missy. My head is spinning at this point. What a curve ball! I also tried on this beauty, which looks even better up close, as well.

Needless to say, I was floating on a cloud out of the store. I talked to my mom shortly after and it quickly brought me back to the reality that I have 5 people traveling from Texas and New York this week to go help me find a dress.
It took me about 5 seconds to realize that even though I got to try on my $7k dream dress, nothing will be worth more than spending time with my family and friends in the crazy event of driving 6 hours to a store in order to join in on the frenzy of hunting for a dress!
So with this blog, I say, "Good bye dress, it was nice to try you on!"

Switching gears, this morning we went to cheer on the Chicago Marathoners! This is one of my favorite things to do. People don't normally consider running a spectator sport, but I guess knowing what it feels like to be the runner, it makes me cheer even harder. We sat at the 8 mile marker and saw every runner go by! We were there for about 2 hours holding a sign Jonathan cleverly thought of that said "AT LEAST IT'S NOT AN IRON MAN!"

Quite a few people pointed and cheered back at us for the sign, so I would consider it a success!

1 comment:

  1. So exciting! First of all, the terrarium shopping sounded amazing enough on its own. But then getting to try on your dream dress?! Oh man. Good luck is in your future. Know it. What a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete