Sunday, January 3, 2010

Even though it was 2 degrees yesterday in Chicago, I decided to face the cold and go downtown to see one of my lovely friends I made abroad, Emily. It was nice to catch up with her, as it had been way too long. We talked a little about the wedding planning, and after we parted ways, I stopped off at Anthropologie to take a look at the holiday sales. Within the first minute I picked up one of my favorite things that I already own:


Of course, the one I already have has an "H" on it, but I picked up a "J" one for Jonathan.
With wedding talk fresh on the mind, I looked up and saw their huge decoration for the season, paper poms! Now, most people don't get too exited by paper poms, but as a bride who is looking to make their own and know how much tim it takes to make just one, the sight of hundreds was beautiful!
I immediately found the manager and inquired how they dispose of such displays. She them told me that one customer had already laid claim to some of the poms for her wedding, but that because there were so many of them, there was a high probability that I could have at least some of them.
Hey, I will take what I can get!




Here are a few examples of poms used in other weddings:






I think they would be great as isle runners, like this:


I hear back from Anthropologie tomorrow, as the store designer is in and will be able to tell many how many she can hold for me.

Last night we finally got to watch a movie I had heard of, but never found the time to see in theaters. For one, it had a limited release, so there was one theater in Chicago playing it at times that I was normally working.


It is a film following the editor of Vogue, Anna Wintour. Apparently, she is the inspiration for the book The Devil Wears Prada. What's funny is that her office even looks like the office they designed for Meryl Streep in that movie.
Anways, the documentary was amazing and had such a great way of telling the story of how their biggest issue of the year gets put together.

One of the more interesting people in the movie was Grace Coddington, who is the creative director. She is in charge of the main photo shoots for the magazine. Above is one of her shots that she actually used one of the documentary guys to be in a shot that made it in the magazine. 
I also like Grace because her job was to think of the most beautiful and creative things, and put them into pictures. It is probably one of the hardest jobs to do.
This movie also sparked my love for all things pretty and reminded me of one the vogue shoots that will remain in my mind for awhile.
When Sophia Coppola's, Marie Antoinette, came out, Vogue did a shoot at Versailles with Kirsten Dunst.









I'm pretty sure that the last dress inspired my wardrobe on using red, white, and pale blue as primary colors at the time the movie came out.
It is all so pretty! One of the things that I have loved about planning this wedding and starting this blog is all of the beautiful things that I have found in life. Not just in things off of the internet, but in nature and daily life. I have started to pay more attention to it all.
 I think next time I will share some inspiration sites that I have found.

Oh, and last thing, I have to mention that I climbed a 5.11b today, which is a pretty big deal, in my book. It was hard, but realizing that I could do it was amazing!

I have tomorrow off, so hopefully that means another blog post!





2 comments:

  1. I love your response to anthro's decor versus Sham's response to anthro's decor.

    P.S. I also love that you got Jonathan a J cup. I would say see if you can get some from the Oakbrook's anthroplogie, but I didn't see poms there so much as fake snow and the Sham's aforementioned, self-named t.p. We might have missed them, though! (P.P.S. We got this to frame for art and two of these with a gift card.)

    This blog post is amazing. And makes me miss you even more! When I am not contagious, let's hang out and have the boys cook us dinner and rub our feet. Maybe after your trip home? I expect your RSVP shortly!

    I love seeing what you think is pretty, not just when I think it's pretty, too, but just parsing out what your exact & growing definition is, etc. I think that's why I love inspiration blogs anything. Excited to see your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Glad to hear that you like everything, Mairead.
    I got your email with the link to the other blog and I loved it, too. We will for sure have to catch up soon, as I will happily accept your invite.
    A foot rub and dinner sounds amazing!
    Hopefully you will be feeling up to climbing by this weekend, Sunday mornings at VE are the best.

    P.S. Camp Sham is ridiculous. He kind of makes me want to kill him when I do those damn pull-ups!

    ReplyDelete